[NAFEX] MULBERRY

Chris Garriss cgarriss at garriss.net
Sat Jun 12 13:36:26 EDT 2010

My experience growing up in Maryland was that for any one good tasting alba
there were about 10 with "no taste ".

Sent from Droid

On Jun 12, 2010 1:29 PM, "Douglas Woodard" <dwoodard at becon.org> wrote:

I recall a poster saying that Morus nigra seedlings were close to their
parents. I don't remember anyone saying that Morus alba selections with
high fruit quality produced seedlings similar in fruit quality to the
parents.

The late Ed Robinson of Gaybird Nursery at Wawanesa, Manitoba in zone 3b
used to sell a hardy morus alba for fruit, so hardy selections are not
unknown.

However, it looks to me as if Helene has a M. alba highly selected on
two counts, or maybe a tree with mixed M. alba and M. rubra ancestry. I
think her aim should be to reproduce it clonally if possible to begin
with. Growing seedlings would be interesting but likely chancy.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

Hélène Dessureault wrote:
> Thank you to the group for sharing information about mulberry. I find ...

Reprodu...