[NAFEX] Mulberry trees

Hélène Dessureault interverbis at videotron.ca
Thu Jun 10 08:48:02 EDT 2010

To collective wisdom and skills,

The mention of mulberry attached reminded me to check on a mulberry tree planted on the lawn of a now abandonned and demolished farm house located in the midst of a national park. The owner, a retired gentleman, who was my closest neighbour then used to place a blanket under the tree to pick berries. Upon shaking the tree, mulberries of all colors would fall: green, all shades of red and black. He would select the ripe ones and make a pie.... This was in the early 1980!

Yesterday, I found the tree, which is now a type of big bush as there is a lot of side shoots that have grown unchecked, but it is FULL of green berries... In zone 4, this mulberry is a gem, as I don't know of any other successful mulberry tree north of the Outaouais River (Ottawa)...This one is an old old tree, well established, has survived all kinds of weather. The wife of the father of this man (now deceased) came from Virginia. We can only guess the age of the tree, as this man told me his father planted the tree...

I would like to reproduce this mulberry, what do you suggest? There is no rush to do anything as I don't have reasons to suspect that the tree will disappear shortly...

I could verify to see if the berries on the undergrowth branches are the same as the original tree buried somewhere in the mass, to try to determine whether this is a graft or a seedlings? I could go back this Summer to collect berries and compare quality? What would be the best method to multiply this tree?

If I were to graft, what do I use for rootstock? Providing that I am dealing with a seedling, maybe stooling would be the answer?

Comments and advices would be greatly appreciated.

Hélène, north of Ottawa