[NAFEX] OT- Wild duck- No good deed goes unpunished

Richard Wagner rewagner at centurytel.net
Thu Jan 14 12:09:24 EST 2010

I am not a big fan of waterfowl as they are too fat and greasy for me. The exception is when they are smoked. Smoked duck is delicious as it renders all the fat. Do you have a way to smoke them?

The exception is muscovy duck. They are larger with more breast meat. Being non migratory tropical ducks they do not put on great layers of fat for the winter or migration. Have you had a chance to eat muscovies?

Taiwan has an extensive industry raising 'mule ducks'.  Mule ducks are sterile hybrids between muscovy and domestic (mallard descended) ducks. They are reputed to be even larger that regular muscovies and to have even proportionallly larger breasts. I have not had a chance to raise any mule ducks myself as bobcats got my only domestic females and I have not replaced them this winter.