[NAFEX] Prunus besseyi

bluestem_farm at juno.com bluestem_farm at juno.com
Thu Feb 25 10:32:25 EST 2010

I bought some Prunus besseyi from I think Gurneys a few years back... one has very good fruit, sized and flavored like a pie cherry, one is slightly smaller, and the third hasn't fruited because it's shaded and segregated from the other two.  They have spent several (3 to 4? 5?  I lose track) years in pots; I hope to  finally get them in the ground this year.  The first year they fruited I collected the seeds and started around twenty more which are also waiting to be planted out so I hope to have a good collection to choose between and maybe even make some selections of my own.  I'm also intrigued by the idea of using them for dwarfing (if short lived) rootstocks for other Prunus species.  So many plants, so little time....
Muffy Barrett
South Central Wisconsin where the sun now feels like spring, but the air and snow still say winter.

In the 1980s the now defunct Beaverlodge Nursery in Alberta offered two
clones of western sand cherry Prunus besseyi, "Hans" and "Fritz" (two
for pollination). I understand they had been selected for the fruit.
Just possibly the people at the University of Saskatchewan fruit program
might have them or know of them.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario

mIEKAL aND wrote:
[SNIP]

> Brian Smith from UW - River Falls has convinced me try Prunus Besseyi
> which he is having a lot of luck with.  I've located some generic
> nursery seed, I hoping some day to get some of his selected seeds.
>

> ~mIEKAL

No exceptions.

NAFEX web site:   http://www.nafex.org/

Stock Options
Click to learn about options trading and get the latest information.
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2131/c?cp=4ca03F8P9P4JcTBawLogQgAAJz02WRpc4qRAyW2egNQ7cvYGAAYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAQlgAAAAA=