[NAFEX] is peat moss harvest sustainable?

William C. Garthright billg at inebraska.com
Sat Feb 6 11:18:15 EST 2010

> I just noticed an article containing a pretty logical indictment
> against peat "mining" that might lead to an interesting discussion
> here.  Here's the link.
> http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/~Linda%20Chalker-Scott/Horticultural%20Myths_files/index.html
> <http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/%7ELinda%20Chalker-Scott/Horticultural%20Myths_files/index.html>

That's a link to the index (the peat moss article was first published in
2006), of course. FYI, here's the direct link:

http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/~Linda%20Chalker-Scott/Horticultural%20Myths_files/Myths/Horticultural%20%20peat.pdf

or

http://tinyurl.com/yfmh5ol

That's a fascinating site in general, though. It's always hard to know
what to believe on the Internet, since pseudoscience of all kinds is far
too common. She tries to make things a little more scientific, and
provides resources for more investigation in the "Literature" link
alongside each title in the index (and often links within an article, too).

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
The incoming president is inheriting a multi-layered problem: one layer
being a debt to China so enormous that the Chinese are now legally