[NAFEX] Green Gage plum NOW ROOTSTOCK

Douglas Woodard dwoodard at becon.org
Thu Feb 4 12:45:23 EST 2010

St. Julien A and C are Prunus insititia rootstocks popular in the trade,
originating in France I understand. St. Julien A has been around for a
long time, is reputed somewhat dwarfing, compatible with a wide range of
plums as well as peach and apricot. I gather it is comfortable on heavy
soils. However there are list members who have personal experience with
it which I have not.

Your damsons might be suitable as rootstocks and might not.

If you have the space and time and find it hard to get regular plum
rootstocks, sure, experiment.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada