[NAFEX] Asian pear - tall varieties?

Lucky.Pittman at murraystate.edu Lucky.Pittman at murraystate.edu
Tue Feb 2 22:05:55 EST 2010

I had a tree of Olton Broussard - an Asian pear that
originated in Louisana - on OHxF513 that was a
beanpole, 10-12 ft tall when I finally got around to
moving it from the nursery row to a permanent
location, 2-3 years after I grafted it - virtually no
branching, just a tall, straight whip.  Might have
been even more vigorous on callery pear.
A buck girdled it that fall, so it had to start over
again, and I think the Easter Big Freeze of 2007
damaged it further.  Haven't looked lately to see if
it's alive, but I've got a branch of it in my
multi-variety tree - and it's pretty much rocketing
skyward as well, on its Keiffer foster home.

Lucky Pittman
Hopkinsville, KY