[NAFEX] Pear Thief

Natelson, Ethan, M.D. ENatelson at tmhs.org
Wed Aug 25 14:22:24 EDT 2010

The squirrels are laughing as you wrote this letter.  I have had them carry off more than 100 full-size pears in a few days without leaving behind even a whisker or a toenail.  The same with peaches.   When I have a new pear I would like to be sure I can taste, I build a pouch to cover it  when it is still small with fine aluminum window screening.  If it looks to be maturing, I may cover it with a second layer of stiffer metal screening such as chicken wire.  Even then, the enterprising squirrel may bite off a small branch to get my cage to drop to the ground so they can do some safe-cracking at leisure.