[NAFEX] Garden Huckleberry pie

Dr. Lucky Pittman lucky.pittman at murraystate.edu
Mon Aug 23 10:47:40 EDT 2010

>The ones I grew were Solanum Melanocerasum

>I didn't find these tasteless at all - my husband loved the pie, and he is
not really a pie eater.  I can understand the 'metallic' taste - I can taste
something in the undertones of this, but then again, I'm wondering if the
reader who didn't like them picked them too early.  You really have to wait
for a long time after they turn black to eat them

My understanding, from previous discussions here and elsewhere, is that
there is tremendous variation in flavorfulness/palatability among the
various Solanum species offered up as garden huckleberry/wonderberry, etc.
No, I don't think I picked them too early, but my training as a veterinary
pathologist, and my knowledge of the various toxic alkaloids potentially
present in the nightshades made me really apprehensive about continuing to
consume that beautiful, metallic-tasting jelly - something just wasn't
right.

Lucky