[NAFEX] Garden Huckleberry pie

Stephen Sadler Docshiva at Docshiva.org
Mon Aug 23 01:14:30 EDT 2010

That was my experience with them, as well.  Seems like there are different
species, same name.

~ Stephen

From: nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of Louis Pittman
Sent: Sunday, August 22, 2010 5:32 PM
To: Hector Black; North American Fruit Explorers
Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Garden Huckleberry pie

I grew 'Garden Huckleberry', S.melanocerasum, I believe, one time(and had
volunteers in following years, but we've moved several hundred miles away.
Big, vigorous plants, with large clusters of big, beautiful blue-black
berries - with no flavor of their own.
Even following the instructions that came with them - leaching, treatment
with baking soda, lots of sugar, grape juice for flavor, and lemon juice for
some acid, there was still this really uncomfortable 'metallic' aftertaste
to the jelly and pies I made.  No one would eat more than a bite or two, so
we chucked 'em all.

Lucky PIttman
Hopkinsville, KY

On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 5:08 PM, Hector Black <hblack1925 at fastmail.fm>