[NAFEX] crab apples

Lee Sharp leesharp at cableone.net
Sat Aug 7 08:05:47 EDT 2010

I have a crab apple tree that produces green fruit and is about 30 years old. It produces fruit close to 2" diameter and is about 1.5" thick (from stem to blossom end). The name of this crab is Soulardii. The person I obtained scions from was a horticulturist, now deceased, and gave me the following information concerning the background of this crab. It was a cross of: malus Loenis X malus Plumia.  It is widespread among SFF ( Southern Fruit Fellowship) members in Mississippi.Ned Rahn collected scions and seed to start plants a couple of years ago and probably has plants for sale now, he has a nursery in S. Carolina. You can reach him at 843 524 7353 or cell 843 575 4643 or Ned Rahn <plantfolks at charter.net> . The fruit is very sour and does make good jelly. My tree is grafted to a native crab rootstock. It has produced bumper crops since it was about 3 years old and has never missed a year. It must be very low chill to do that in south Mississippi.
Lee                                 Copy to Ned