[NAFEX] crab apples

Dr. Lucky Pittman lucky.pittman at murraystate.edu
Fri Aug 6 08:23:24 EDT 2010

Ann,

My dad collected native crab selections - primarily M.angustifolia and
M.coronaria, from around east-central AL - small 1-1.5" hard, green,
exceedingly sour little things; they 'ripened'(if you can call it ripening)
late, and fruits often would lie on the ground through the winter, largely
resistant to rotting, until all were consumed by deer, turkeys, etc.  But
Dad also liked to eat them, and would usually have a 5-gallon bucket of 'em
on the back porch, and would eat a half-dozen or so every day.  I have one
grafted here that he found, which had much larger fruit - probably in the
2+" range, as best I can recall(it's not fruited here yet) - makes me wonder
if it might have originated from a cross with some domestic apple variety.

Lucky