[NAFEX] Vein chlorosis in paw paw seedling

Alexander Brands abb7 at Lehigh.EDU
Mon Aug 2 21:39:44 EDT 2010

Hello,

Has anyone seen vein chlorosis in paw paw seedlings?  I started
several paw paw seeds this spring, and one of them has very obvious
yellowing of the veins in the older leaves:

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s303/alexander3_photos/overall.jpg

There are also some little brown spots along the yellowing veins:

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s303/alexander3_photos/closeup.jpg

This seedling was grown from a seed of a Susquehanna paw paw.

Chlorotic leaves with green veins seems to be a common pattern, but I
can't find any info on the web about this pattern of chlorosis being
associated with a nutrient deficiency.  I've found examples this
symptom associated with a viral infection in other plants, but it
seems unlikely that a first year seedling growing inside my house
would have a viral infection.

I'm guessing its some sort of genetic bad luck, but was wondering if
anyone else has seen this kind of thing.

Alex