[NAFEX] Wagner's Old Montmorency

Don Yellman don.yellman at webformation.com
Thu Apr 29 11:00:49 EDT 2010

Richard:

If the insect damage on your Montmorency cherries consists of little white larvae close to the pit, you may have a buildup of cherry fruit fly around the tree.  I suffered through these for quite a few years.  Sprays are ineffective, and inadvisable on small fruits like cherries.

The best solution I have found is cultural practice.  Be sure to remove all cherries from the tree and beneath at the end of the season to keep larvae from converting to pupae, which burrow into the ground around the tree to await the next season.  In mid to late winter, cultivate around the base of the tree out to the drip line with a hoe, to a depth of 3-4 inches if possible.  If you have had a bad infestation, do it twice, several weeks apart.  This will expose pupae to cold and drying, and kill them.  If you can break the reproductive cycle of these insects, they will disappear.  Mine have.

Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA