[NAFEX] Haskap

Bob Bors bob.bors at usask.ca
Wed Apr 28 23:16:07 EDT 2010

Haskap like many blue colored berries look ripe outside before they are
really ripe.

Haskap/Honeysuckles should be red inside when they are ripe otherwise if
green they will have a grassy flavour.

Your blue velvet and tundra are a bit later ripening than the others on your
list.

But some varieties from Siberia were actually bred to have bitterness.  They
like to soak them in Vodka.  The bitterness is just like tonic water.

There is a lot of variation in the species but fortunately not to many
nurseries sell the old terrible 'Bugnet' or similar varieties anymore.

Dr. Bob Bors

Assistant Professor

Head of the Fruit Program

University of Saskatchewan, Plant Sciences Dept.

51 Campus Drive, Room 2C02

Saskatoon Saskatchewan, S7N 5A8

Fruit program website:

 <http://www.usask.ca/agriculture/plantsci/dom_fruit/index.html>