[NAFEX] Apples That Bear On One Year Wood

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Tue Apr 27 21:59:27 EDT 2010

	The late Professor Elwyn Meader once sent me a red flesh apple from
Nels Hansen which is probably a selection of Malus  Niedzwetzkyana.
One striking feature is it's ability to bear on one year wood.  Not
just a flower or a fruit  here and there, but clusters at every bud.
Since it's from Siberia, I assume that  ability is a reproductive
strategy to allow it to bear quickly if a cold winter kills back limbs.
	Has anyone noted this trait in other apple varieties or species?
-Lon Rombough
"Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003.
Grape pruning video: http://www.bunchgrapes.com/dvd.html View a short,
low resolution clip here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q58zFY0B1M
A video about The Grape Grower :