[NAFEX] FB on callery pears, rootstock use

Dr. Lucky Pittman lucky.pittman at murraystate.edu
Fri Apr 23 12:19:42 EDT 2010

I've been seeing more fireblight on callery pears around town over the past
5 years or so, so they're not completely immune - but still qualify as a
good fireblight RESISTANT understock for most fruiting varieties, if you
don't mind a standard tree.

I'm experimenting with a 10-12 inch interstem of OHxF513 between my callery
seedlings and fruiting varieties.  513 is not terribly dwarfing in and of
itself, and I don't know if it will do anything whatsoever with regard to
dwarfing as an interstem, but it is compatible with both European and
Asians, with no indication that pear decline will be a problem with the
Asians on down the road.

Lucky