[NAFEX] another fine use for tree tubes

mIEKAL aND qazingulaza at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 08:42:40 EDT 2010

For the last few years I've been germinating chestnuts & buartnuts in
tree tubes & growing them out for one year, using the tubes as tall
cylindrical pots.  Since the tubes are 24" long they work well for
long taprooted plants.  Last year I put up a bunch of John Gordon's PA
Golden pawpaws in tubes to see how they would work.  Top growth was
minimal, the biggest ones may 9 inches & many of them about 4-5".  But
once I got them out of the tubes, the roots were fully 18" long &
enough feeder roots that very little of the dirt inside the tubes fell
away & many of them have vigorous root growth at the very bottom. The
roots seem much sturdier & more developed than another batch of
pawpaws that I grew in traditional gallon pots.

The tubes were bought in the early 90s & this is maybe my 6th or 7th
reuse of them.  I especially like the light brown corrugated ones,
they have yet to get brittle while some of the newer cream colored
vinyl tubes seem far less UV resistant.

& speaking of pawpaws I have my first pair about to flower in the
garden.  This will be their 8th year in the ground.

~mIEKAL