[NAFEX] grafting with rootstock breaking dormancy

Raby, Brian brian.raby at roche.com
Mon Apr 12 09:13:20 EDT 2010

Last year, I did all of my grafts using whip and tongue on the bench, then I transfered them to a spot in my garden to heal and grow.  Not very good results.  So this spring, I was looking at 90 or so rootstocks that were begging to be grafted again.  This time, I used a saddle graft on all of them with Parafilm and black tar paint.  Was feeling very confident with my effort.

Yesterday, I was walking thru the area where the plants are located and I noticed that very few scions sticks that had buds which broke.  May be a bit early to write these off, but I'm wondering... for those that are successful with their grafts, do you have a rule of thumb as to the length of the scion portion or the number of buds that you leave on the stick when you make your graft?

I'm think with all the warm weather we've been having that maybe I've left too much surface area on the scions portion that caused them to dry out.

Brian
Sheridan, IN
Zone 5 a/b