[NAFEX] off topic--pumpkins squash

Michael Dossett phainopepla at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 9 13:46:21 EDT 2010

It's been interesting to see what people's opinions are on this.  The small sugar pumpkins tend to be much better than the jack-o-lantern types when it comes to pie, but I think even they are beat by other squashes.  I'm a little surprised to hear so many saying butternut as I've never been a huge fan of the butternut flavor in my pumpkin pies (though the texture is fantastic and I have had some butternuts that were awfully good).  I would second blue hubbard as being excellent, but it tends to need a long season.  My absolute favorite for pies would have to be sweet meat, hands down.  Unfortunately it is sometimes harder to find seeds for them as a lot of the major catalogs don't seem to have it.  Territorial seeds carries it, as well as "sugar hubbard" a sweet meat x blue hubbard hybrid.

http://www.territorialseed.com/product/7517/s

I started my sweet meat seeds indoors last weekend :-)

Michael

Michael Dossett
Corvallis, Oregon
www.Mdossettphoto.com