[NAFEX] Complete coverage of scion with Parafilm

Jwlehman at aol.com Jwlehman at aol.com
Wed Apr 7 21:33:38 EDT 2010

In a message dated 4/7/2010 8:24:09 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
brian.raby at roche.com writes:

> How necessary do you find it to cover the entire scion with Parafilm in
> order to achieve success rather than just covering over the grafted portion?
>
> I have also applied grafting tar to the parafilm to help keep in the
> moisture.  This is my first year grafting in the field using a saddle graph
> method and I'm eagerly awaiting the results.

Total coverage of scion isn't always necessary and maybe not in most cases.
But retaining moisture until transfer of nutrients begins between the
understock and scion is of utmost importance. Parafilm is relatively cheap and
only takes an extra second to fully cover the scion and graft wound, so why
risk failure by not covering?
Also the answer to your question can vary from species to species and
weather conditions at the time of grafting. My guess is it is more important when
grafting ward wood than soft fruit wood. All grafts I make get 100%
coverage.

Parafilm is a lab product to temporarily cover viles and vessels of liquid
to block moisture evaporation. I believe covering it with tar is completely
unecessary and may be harmful in that it being black attracts heat which
when in full sun could overheat the scion.

Jerry