[NAFEX] PawPaw pollenation

Dr. Lucky Pittman lucky.pittman at murraystate.edu
Wed Apr 7 09:46:16 EDT 2010

Another wrinkle on the 'roadkill' thing - and I'm just sort of 'stream of
consciousness' thinking, here.

Yes, I would suspect that if you had fresh roadkill, the carrion flies might
well be attracted to the attractant and ignore the pawpaw flowers altogether
- but if you placed the roadkill or a dead cow(seems like I remember Donna
Hudson telling of a particularly heavy pawpaw crop one year when there was a
cow that had died during the previous winter near the pawpaw patch) well in
advance of anticipated bloom time, perhaps you could come closer to assuring
a ready supply of potential pollenators are ready to work when the blossoms
open.

Timing could be the key.

Just a thought.

Lucky Pittman