[NAFEX] treating bees for mites

William McNam billmcnam at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 6 16:10:59 EDT 2010

Have any of you beekeepers tried  spraying the frames with undiluted cooking oil--such as canola or olive oil?
This would suffocate the mites and their eggs while giving the bees a needed helping of fat.
Dormant oil has long been used to control mites on fruit trees,but it is a petroleum product (still perhaps less toxic  than synthetic miticides or formic acid.)