[NAFEX] NY Nut Growers Association will be held on Saturday, October 24 in Bronx

alden at waldenwinds.com alden at waldenwinds.com
Mon Sep 28 15:56:53 EDT 2009

    I'm hoping to attend this meeting, is anyone from New England going?
I'd like a ride and offer to share expenses.   Charlie Paradise

The fall meeting of the New York Nut Growers Association will be held on Saturday,

October 24, from 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM, at the New York Botanical Garden,

(LuEsther T. Mertz Library, 6th floor, Museum Building) 2900 Southern Blvd.,

Bronx, New York.   In addition to being a

world famous botanical research institute and tourist attraction in New York

City, the New York Botanical Garden was the site of the first meeting of the

Northern Nut Growers Association in 1910, and we are honored to hold our

program here.

Everyone who wants to learn about planting and caring for nut trees is welcome to come.

Among our presenters are the following: Peter

Haarmann, a Long Island farmer who started his nut and pawpaw farm 5 years ago;

Dr. Sandra Anagnostakis, a scientist at the Connecticut Agricultural

Experiment Station, who will talk about current research and planting of chestnut; Dr.

Michael Nee, the NYBG Curator of the Institute of Systemic Botany, who will

discuss his black walnut tree planting on his farm in Wisconsin; Jim

Capossela,a wild food forager and cook, who will give out his favorite nut recipes; and

Clare Pierson who will demonstrate how to make home remedies using black

walnut hulls and other plant material found in this area.

Registration

is $20, which includes speakers' presentations, parking, breakfast and a

mid-morning snack, a variety of nuts to eat and take home, information on

nut processing and stratification, a back issue of the Northern Nut Growers

Annual Report, and a tour of the New York Botanical Garden.  Lunch will be

on your own (you may bring a

sandwich with you) at The Garden Café, a short distance from the Museum

Building.

Send a check

made out to "NYNGA" to Rick

Monheim, NYNGA Treas., 1023 County Road 6, Phelps, NY 14532.  Please

include your phone number and e-mail address.

For more information about the meeting, directions, or lodging, contact

Jerry Henkin, sproutnut at aol.com, tel. home

(914) 423 - 7458; cell (914) 282 - 1371.

Lodging:
Here are four local hotels within 20 miles of the NYBG.

Discounts may apply.

1. Hampton

Inn, 200 Tarrytown Road, Elmsford, NY (914) 592 - 5680, $139.00.

2. Westchester Marriott, 670 White Plains Road, Tarrytown, NY (914) 631 - 2200, $148.00.

3. Ramada Inn of Yonkers, 125 Tuckahoe Road, Yonkers, NY (914) 476 - 3800, $144.00.

4. Royal Regency, 165 Tuckahoe Road, Yonkers, NY (914) 476 - 6200, $148.00.

Travel Directions:

>From Connecticut

New England Thruway South (I-95) to Pelham Parkway West (Exit 8C). Pelham

Pkwy turns into Fordham Rd after 2 miles. Turn right onto Kazimiroff Blvd, and

continue past the Garden's main entrance 3/4 mile to Mosholu Gate on the

right.

OR Merritt Pkwy South to Hutchinson River Pkwy South to Cross County Pkwy

West to Bronx River Pkwy South to Fordham Road (Exit 7W) Merge onto Fordham Rd

and stay in right lane. Turn right onto Kazimiroff Blvd, and continue past the

Garden's main entrance 3/4 mile to Mosholu Gate on the right.

>From Westchester County

Saw Mill River Pkwy South to Mosholu Pkwy. Exit 24 from the left lane.

Continue to end. Turn right onto Kazimiroff

Blvd. At the first traffic light, turn left into the Garden. OR Sprain

Brook Pkwy South (OR Hutchinson River Pkwy South to Cross County Pkwy West) to Bronx

River Pkwy South to Allerton Ave. Merge onto Kazimiroff Blvd. and continue to the

Garden's Mosholu Gate on the left.

Sincerely yours

Jerry Henkin