[NAFEX] Well a tomato is a fruit...in search of Yellow Pear

fuwa fuwa usagi fuwafuwausagi at muchomail.com
Fri Sep 25 00:58:17 EDT 2009

Gang:

The fluffy one is sad, older now, and sadly potentially facing changing taste buds I no longer can grow a yellow pear tomato that matches my memories from decades ago.

I usually grow a potpourri of tomatoes, and I fondly remember the yellow pear of my youth ,a pleasant mild tasting, low acid tomato that was wonderful when mixed with sharper tomatoes like a Super Beefsteak or Better Boy.  Now a committed full flavor tomato heirloom snob (yeah I still grow Hybrids like Super Beefsteak, Sweet100 and Better Boy too, just in case) I really miss the remembered taste of the Yellow Pear from days gone your in salads and salsas for a contrast.

I have tried several commercial sources and none are producing the tomatoes of my memory.  What I am getting are ungoshly bland, mushy textured tomatoes that frankly are not worth the space they occupy other than for eye appeal.

What I suspect is there are many strains of yellow pear and I simply have not lucked out enough to get the right one.  I do know if I encounter it again I will save the darn seeds.

Anyways, I thought I would put in a request to the good folks at NAFEX that if anyone has a good strain of yellow pear they save seed from if you could spare a few, say 5-10 seeds, so I can get something going next year that is worth a dran

Obviously we can swap something, all I want is a few starter seeds of a know good parent.

I thank you for any consideration your give this matter,

the fluffy one