[NAFEX] Gooseberry info from KY

Kieran &/or Donna holycow at frontiernet.net
Fri Sep 25 00:13:34 EDT 2009

When I went looking for anything I could find on the Net about growing gooseberries in the South, I thought I'd find no more than comments on Gardenweb or something like that.  I could hardly believe my eyes when I found these articles from KY universities on currants and gooseberries.  Quite interesting, informative and inspiring, esp the second one.  There's another article from Virginia, with lots of info too.  My husband misses gooseberries, so this crummy plant that I got as a rooted peice from a local guy managed to at least live, and so I thought I was growing gooseberries.  The few we've picked were sure not much to recommend trying any more.  It was sort of like pears here.  When all you have ever encountered is Kieffers or worse, you are not very inspired to try growing pears.  The thought that there might be some really good pears that could be grown here really didn't enter my mind from 1982 till About 1998, when I first encountered a pretty tasty pear growing in Tennessee.  So now I am actually growing pears, and  I think my next project will be to grow some disease resistant good quality gooseberries.  The hard part is finding nursery stock. I found a place in the PNW that had all kinds, but can't find them again.    Donna

http://www.uky.edu/Ag/NewCrops/introsheets/currants.pdf

http://www.pawpaw.kysu.edu/PDF/pompergoosetalk07.pdf

 http://pubs.ext.vt.edu/438/438-107/438-107.html