[NAFEX] quince pollination

rmelrose at danvilleVT.net rmelrose at danvilleVT.net
Fri Sep 18 07:37:49 EDT 2009

> Message: 15
> Date: Fri Sep 18 07:37:14 2009
> From: "Kieran &/or Donna" <holycow at frontiernet.net>
> Subject: Re: [NAFEX] quince pollination
> To: "Anton Callaway" <marillen at earthlink.net>,	"North American Fruit
> 	Explorers" <nafex at lists.ibiblio.org>
>
> Anton,  Yes you are right, I wasn't thinking.  Here in TN Chaenomeles is
> about the only "quince" we see.  I have some of Cydonia cuttings started
> from some local plants that seem to do ok, so I'll be curious myself if
> anyone has the answer.  The owner is not sure if she has 1 var or 2, and I
> couldn't tell them apart by the leaves or fruit.   Donna

So, I'm not sure wheter you are asking about self-fruitfulness of
Chaenomeles or Cydonia. Certainly at least some cultivars of Cydonia
obliqua are self-fertile -- I have a `van Deman' growing in the garden in
Cambridge Mass which has 12 quinces on it and there is no quince anywhere
nearby. I think the same is true of `Crimea' which is growing here in
Vermont and has a similar number of much smaller quinces on it (it fruited
before its potential polinators were established enough to flower). My
experience is that Chaenomeles (I have four cultivars here in Vermont) are
also self-fertile but do better with cross-polination. Where I grew up
these were commonly grown as flowering hedges and called `Japonica', pretty
impressive in Spring.

Richard