[NAFEX] gooseberries for Tennessee???

Dr. Lucky Pittman lucky.pittman at murraystate.edu
Fri Sep 11 12:33:59 EDT 2009

Ed Mashburn - what ever happened to Ed? - who was for a time, if I recall
correctly, the NAFEX Ribes consultant, and proprietor of Northumberland
Berryworks as well as head of The International Ribes Association,
recommended Pixwell and Glenndale as two gooseberry varieties that would
handle my hot zone 6 climate - and even full sun here.  Granted, neither
variety got rave reviews for fruit quality, but I can attest that Pixwell
survived and fruited - rather heavily - in full sun here for years before my
wife made me move it, because it was invading the blueberries(which she
bulldozed out last year to put in a tennis court).

Pixwell may not be 'much punkin', as they say here, but even a low-quality
gooseberry beats no gooseberries at all.

I think I've got a Glenndale plant somewhere under a big old post oak at the
top of the pond, but I didn't brave the ticks and chiggers to wade over
there when it should have been fruiting this summer.

Lucky