[NAFEX] Anyone growing rubus arcticus

Jim Fruth jimfruth at charter.net
Thu Sep 10 10:27:28 EDT 2009

mIEKAL wrote:  "I guess you would never worry about hardiness with this
fruit."

    That much hardiness becomes a disadvantage!

    Hartmann Plant Company offered it for sale so I bought a dozen of them
to try it.  It bloomed really early and went dormant with the onset of warm
weather, never ripening its fruit.  Then, every Spring, there'd be a few
less of them until none grew.

    So I reported to Dan Hartmann suggesting he sell Rubus triflorus
instead; R triflorus is an almost identical plant native to zone 3.  It
grows wild around here and he asked me to send him a bunch of the plants.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN  56472
For jams, jellies, syrups and more: