[NAFEX] apple maggot attraction

Steve sdw12986 at aol.com
Wed Sep 9 19:38:28 EDT 2009

Alan Haigh wrote:
> I never encounter apple fly maggot although they are a problem for
> commercial growers not far away.  Always thought the deer might be
> helping out by picking up the drops but a lot of customers have fencing
> these days and (knock on wood) still no afm, even though all insecticide
> is usually put away after the first week of June.  AFM usually appears
> in those nearby orchards well after this.
>
> In the literature the word as I remember it is that AFM prefers the
> earliest, reddest apples at any given site.  Same ones the squirrels go
> far, except squirrels will go for Honeycrisp before they feed on earlier
> apples.  What is it about that apple that attracts everyone and everything?

I don't know, but even the leaves are more attractive to insects. A
couple of years ago, I was flicking Japanese Beetles from my grape vines
into a pan of soapy water. I noticed several Japanese Beetles on one of
the apple trees. It's a tree where I grafted different cultivars on
different branches. The beetles were ONLY on the one branch grafted to
Honeycrisp. I've never noticed them eating any other apple leaf.

Steve in the Adirondacks  (Where a bear with 2 cubs was seen at the end
of our street today. I hope they don't discover my trees, hanging with
apples and pears.)