[NAFEX] Wild(?) pear question

Kieran &/or Donna holycow at frontiernet.net
Fri Sep 4 10:45:32 EDT 2009

A friend alerted me to a huge old tree that I just missed.  The ground is
covered with 2" hard yellow balls, mostly brown now.  they are too sour for
anything except probably making vinegar, which is something I like to do.
they could of course be made into perry or pear wine and blended with a
batch of something bland.  Yes, the astringency is important to making good
wine, perry, or hard cider.
    But Jim, I highly recommend that if the tree is not too big to regraft,
that you find some really hardy variety(s) and graft onto the hardy frame.
Tell your neighbor you expect half the crop every year.  That way you expand
your growing area without having to buy land or even take care of the tree!
For a little investment of time, you can make your neighbor happy and
experiment without wasting your precious space.  Donna