[NAFEX] American persimmon flowering

Jwlehman at aol.com Jwlehman at aol.com
Fri Sep 4 06:52:41 EDT 2009

In a message dated 9/4/2009 12:31:43 AM Central Daylight Time,
orders at cuttsreviews.com writes:

> Is this normal for it to take so long to start flowering?  Or are flower
> buds maybe being killed?  I've never seen anything on it that looks like
> a flower bud.
>
> The trees are quite beautiful with their large, soft tropical looking
> leaves and it has taken me many years to get named varieties to
> survive.  Now I'm waiting for fruit.

Good Morning Jay,

Male persimmons normally flower about the 5th year from seed. They normally
precede the females by two years. The flowers are small and light yellow
and not easy to see along with the green calyx. They bloom in early June here
in zone 5b.

I almost wonder if you have persimmon. I'd never describe a persimmon as
"soft tropical looking leaves." Some will have a red tint until the leaves
mature and normally slick shinny surface. A few will be pubescent on the under
side. But if you got them from a nursery I'd find it hard to believe you
received something other than D. virginiana.

Jerry

A Good Credit Score is 700 or Above. See yours in just 2
easy steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222846709x1201493018/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&
hmpgID=115&bcd=JulystepsfooterNO115)