[NAFEX] Puget Gold apricot

Ginda Fisher list at ginda.us
Wed Sep 2 12:44:33 EDT 2009

The puget gold fruits that I picked when the squirrels started to remove lots of fruit were small and not very sweet, despite having the coloration of ripe fruit.  The handful of fruit that survived on the tree until they were actually ripe (or nearly ripe) were much larger, much sweeter, and delicious.

I can't compare to other apricots as I've never eaten another that hadn't beenshipped from far away, but I was very satisfied with the flavor of Puget gold.

-- GindaRobert Bruns wrote:

Jerry -

I tried Puget Gold.  It produced small, shriveled fruit that weren't that sweet.  Hungarian Rose planted 40 feet away produced large, full apricots with very good flavor.  Puget gold performs very well in the Pacific northwest, but there is something about the soil/climate/pathogens of Indiana that makes it perform poorly here.

Puget Gold did seem to improve the pollination of Hungarian Rose.  They bloom within a day of each other.

Fred
Central Indiana
Zone 5B