[NAFEX] developing hardy trees

Douglas Woodard dwoodard at becon.org
Fri Oct 23 13:55:09 EDT 2009

A lot depends on the species and on how highly selected the cultivars in
use are already. Breeding a superior apple takes a lot of seedlings; a
competitive apricot not so many.

Also, breeding for cold hardiness you don't have to grow the seedlings
to fruiting. A year or two using very little space per seedling will
accomplish a lot of selection, especially if you are satisfied to select
for a slightly warmer climate than your own which does not require
waiting for a test winter at your place.

If you are content to develop a hardy cultivar which is merely useful
for home growers in a cold location, rather than fully competitive with
cultivars from warmer climates for commercial growers, you can relax
your standards. That might be the case if you were trying to develop a
Zone 5 or 4 peach for example.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada