[NAFEX] Ginko fruit

Kieran &/or Donna holycow at frontiernet.net
Fri Oct 16 13:02:39 EDT 2009

I've noticed something weird about ginkgos.  Though they supposedly come in male and female, all the trees at Tech bear fruit.  I think that male-only trees may be rarer than we are led to believe, and that when a tree gets old enough (15-25 years I have heard) it's likely to start cropping.   So maybe all you need to do is call your county ag agent and ask him if he's had some complaints about the smell of gingko fruits someplace public.  Another thing you can do is cut long whippy branches and stick them most of the way into the ground.  This is the book "Herbal Emissaries".  I haven't tried it, though I keep thinking I will.  I think you are supposed to cut them in late summer, about 6' long, and leave only a foot or so sticking out.  Donna