[NAFEX] Golden Russet apple

Ginda Fisher list at ginda.us
Tue Oct 13 17:28:13 EDT 2009

What I've had that was called "Ashmeand's Kernal is a small, yellow,
heavily-but-unevenly russeted apple with reddish or brown
"highlights".  It is very sweet and very sour.  What I've had that was
called "Golden Russet" is a larger (but still small) yellow apple that
is heavily but evenly russeted, and has a more uniform and pleasing
appearance than the Ashmeads.  It was round, not flat, and almost
syrupy sweet.  Tangy, but not as tart as Ashmead's.  Both have dense
flesh.  People who I know who grow Golden Russet say it is a prolific
bearer, although it tends towards being biennial.  Ashmeads is a shyer
bearer.

Both should be fully yellow under the russet when ripe.  (Or have
brown or red cheeks, in the case of Ashmead's.)  Either one, with a
green background, is under-ripe, and not very appealing.

Ginda
eastern MA zone 6