[NAFEX] Golden Russet (and Snowsweet) apples

Brungardt, Sam Sam.Brungardt at state.mn.us
Tue Oct 13 13:04:44 EDT 2009

Last Saturday I bought some Golden Russets at the St. Paul Farmers
Market as well as some Snowsweets (the Univ. of Minnesota's new
introduction).  It is the first time I've seen Golden Russet offered in
the almost 30 years I've patronized the market.  I was really looking
forward to enjoying this fabled apple.  Well, the taste was somewhat
disappointing, leading me to question whether my preferences were out of
step with what is supposedly one of the better flavored apples.  The
Golden Russets were hard and crisp, but lacked the sweetness that I
expected.   They were fairly sour.  The ground color is greenish rather
than golden yellow and I wonder whether they were at optimal maturity
when they were picked.  I will set a few aside in the refrigerator (or
front porch, as we've already had snow) and see how they taste after
they've matured a little more off the tree.

The Snowsweets did not disappoint.  The white flesh is very slow to
oxidize, tender and fine-grained, and the flavor is very good, but
lacking the aroma or perfume I look for in a really fine eating apple.
They would be outstanding in a Waldorf salad. - Sam Brungardt, St. Paul,
Minn. (USDA Zone 4b)