[NAFEX] when apples should be harvested, based on Z6, NY

Alan Haigh alandhaigh at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 14:05:21 EDT 2009

The question of when to pick any given variety has no simple answer.  For
late varieties, which I consider my most important because they carry me
through winter, it can be a bit tricky.

If a variety is high-brix like Goldrush or Fuji, they don't seem to freeze
as easily and can take temps down into the low 20's F. it seems, although I
haven't researched it and I'm not sure of the actual cutoff.  I've just
noticed that unpicked fruit of these two holds its texture for surpringly
deep into fall.

I would never pick Goldrush early here as even ripe ones store very well and
have a much richer flavor IMO.  Something like Jonagold and many other
varieties need to be picked a bit green to store well.  My storage Jonagolds
are almost like a different apple than the tree-ripened ones, tarter and not
as rich, but very good.

It's hard to know without experience, the requirement of any given variety,
so the time to experiment is just as the trees start bearing.  Pick some
earlier and some later and see what happens.