[NAFEX] Apples

Stephen Sadler Docshiva at Docshiva.org
Mon Oct 5 17:35:38 EDT 2009

How many apple trees do you have?

-----Original Message-----
From: nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of
Hilborn.E at epamail.epa.gov
Sent: Monday, October 05, 2009 1:50 PM
To: North American Fruit Explorers
Subject: [NAFEX] Apples

This is the first year most of my apple trees have borne fruit.   They
are not pretty, it was wet early in the year and I did not get good
Surround coverage. They have a lot of Codling Moth damage. The fruit I
bagged seemed to be affected as much as the unprotected fruit, so I
obviously have a lot to learn about timing and effective control.

But oh the flavor!  I have been eating store bought apples for most of
my life. It is like I have been introduced to a whole new fruit. My
varieties were all selected for eating fresh. I am so impressed by the
sweetness, the fresh floral notes, the wine-like aftertastes; they are
so complex in flavor!

Now I just have to learn to grow ones I can eat whole out of hand that
are pretty enough to share with friends.

Betsy Hilborn
7a NC

sites.
permission!