[NAFEX] Hardy Prunus, Apricots

Sarah Kehler Ewing skkewing at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 21 16:59:44 EST 2009

They were planted as part of a multi-specimen greenbelt between a busy street and a neighbourhood in the Capillano area: a middle aged part of Edmonton.  No one seems to know much about them: they appear to be seedlings as no graft is visible.  I found only two trees, but there may be more.  Apparently, the locals have known about them for years and pick fruit when it shows up.  They don't fruit every year, but they are more reliable than anything else I've heard of up here. I have not seen them in fruit, nor have I tasted fruit from them (I live way out of Edmonton and my timing has been off every year!).  T&T Seeds collected seed and sold seedlings off of them last year (but not this year).  I managed to scrounge up a few dried old brown seeds two years ago and they have grown well with no dieback.  My seedlings even survived 6" of snow on them after they had leafed out this past spring, they lost their leaves, but came back nicely. I also have a
 friend who collected a bunch of seed and planted out about 75 trees just for his bees this past spring!  I'm planning to keep an eye on his patch for decent fruiting specimens.  I'm told by our local experts that stone fruits have a 70-90% chance of being just like the parent.

If I ever manage to find more seeds, I'll put out the offer.

Sarah
zone 3
Edmonton, AB