[NAFEX] Scions before true dormancy?

Ginda Fisher list at ginda.us
Sun Nov 15 20:59:37 EST 2009

On Nov 15, 2009, at 5:03 PM, Spidra Webster wrote:

> My home is being sold. I have worked incredibly hard on my garden
> here and will be sad to have to leave it behind. It looks like
> things will close in early-mid Dec but I don't think the trees will
> go dormant until late Dec. Is there any way I can induce dormancy
> early so that I can take scion wood? Are there any propagation
> options at all here?

Consider writing a "take scions" clause into the sale agreement.  When
I was shopping for houses one of the ones I looked at had a clause to
allow the seller to take small selections of her (extensive) hosta
collection at whatever time of year it's best to divide hostas.  I
didn't buy the house, but the clause was not a problem for me, and my
guess is that it wasn't a problem for other potential buyer.

Ginda