[NAFEX] Rooting currants

Dale Burkholder dburk at planetcomm.net
Tue Nov 3 13:22:31 EST 2009

Lon & everybody else;
I found an old email on my computer with some advice about rooting
currants. I am planning to start 100-200 Crandall currants for sale in the
spring, and would like to know if I am interpreting these instructions
(below) properly.

My idea is to wait another month until dormant, then cut 6" sections of new
growth (or is last year's growth also okay?), place them 4-5 inches apart -
about 2/3rds buried in the ground in an unheated greenhouse, add a few
inches of mulch for insulation and wait until spring.
Or, Plan B, assuming the roots won't grow much anyway until spring, can I
just cram them in a big ol' feed bag full of sand/soil mix with tops
sticking out and leave outside in the snow and rain until March and then
plant them in pots?

Dale Burkholder
Shenandoah Valley, VA   Zone 6
If I did learn to speak proper English, who would I speak it to?