[NAFEX] Blueberries in CA

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Sat May 30 14:28:07 EDT 2009

Trader Joe's store here was recently selling frozen 'boreal
blueberries' from Canada.  From the description and appearance of the
fruit it is wild harvested lowbush blueberries from northern Canada.
The fruit was just frozen, not cooked, so it's possible the seed would
be viable if someone wanted to grow it.  Having grown blueberries from
seed it's interesting, but odd.   It takes a cool, high humidity
environment to germinate them.
The seedlings are so tiny it just looks like there's green algae or
moss on the soil at first.  Then a few seem to outgrow the others and
get big enough to be visible as individual plants.
-Lon Rombough
short, low resolution clip here:
"Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003.
A video about The Grape Grower :