[NAFEX] mulberries

William C. Garthright billg at inebraska.com
Sat May 30 09:27:20 EDT 2009

> They are impossible for me to keep in a small space but you can keep
> them in-bounds by pruning them to a weep and summer pruning them once
> a season- removing all vigorous upright growth.  They make beautiful
> trees managed this way and you keep a lot of fruit in ladderless reach.

I've been trying to do that with the Illinois Everbearing Mulberry I
still have (half) alive.

But I have another problem with this variety. Since it doesn't bear
fruit all at once, but just a little bit all summer, the birds clean
them out before they ever get completely ripe. I didn't think of that
when I planted this tree. With a normal mulberry - or, at least, the
wild ones around here - the berries all come ripe at once, so there are
always plenty to eat, even after the birds take their share.

Yeah, I could net the tree, like I have to do with my grapevines, but
that's a pain, especially if I had to leave the net up all summer. And
the tree grows so vigorously that I'd have to cut the net off at the end
of the season. (Not to mention that it's hard to pick berries when the
tree is netted.) Yeah, the Illinois Everbearing Mulberry was a definite
mistake here, for several reasons.

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
In Paris they simply stared when I spoke to them in French; I never did
succeed in making those idiots understand their language. - Mark Twain