[NAFEX] fast fruit/weeping mulberry

Sheridan Shumway rattler_mt at yahoo.com
Fri May 29 17:00:38 EDT 2009

I'm interested.  How do the mulberries taste?

keep in mind mine are just starting to flower so its been roughly a year since i last tasted them.....so going by memory....they are sweeter than the raspberries i grow, lacking any tartness....the fruit is on the small side, which may be because of the trees small size yet, im not sure....but the flavor is intense enough to make it worth collecting them...i should have ripe fruit in another 30 days or so and i can do a better report then....

not many fruits can shrug off our -50 to -60 air temps in the winter and then have no problems putting on a good set of fruit the next year......the weeping mulberry does....the contorted variety so far doesnt.....it lives through the winter just fine but i think the dormant flower buds dont survive.....the mulberry offers me something different in the early summer fruit wise when i dont have many options other than raspberries or strawberries for home grown fruit at that time....hoping to get enough next year to do a small batch of mulberry mead.....

Sheridan S.
northeast Montana
zone 3 or 4