[NAFEX] Pluots in Nebraska

Kieran &/or Donna holycow at frontiernet.net
Thu May 28 09:41:09 EDT 2009

Bill, I'm really curious about your Am-Jap plums.  David Ulmer recommended
them to me and sent some scions, so I have a few vars topgrafted to a young
Am plum.  I hope to have some fruit next year.  The crosses like Kaga sound
really good.  The other parent is supposed to be something rather apricot
like.  Do these plums crop well for you, and what do you think about them?
Some are said to make monster trees.  If I can find some kind of stone fruit
that will both survive the late freezes and make good fruit, I might chop
down all the other stone fruits and actually try keeping some chickens under
them.  Right now we just have banties running around, trying to confine them
under a tree would require wire over the top, not possible and still get to
the tree.  a second mild spring has left a decent crop of Jap plums on the
trees, but the curcuculios are taking care of them for me.  It's been too
wet to think of spraying Surround.      Donna