[NAFEX] excellent pollenizer?

John Henderson jhenderson at ithaca.edu
Wed May 27 13:11:24 EDT 2009

What factors most contribute to an apple tree being judged a good
pollenizer? I've seen that description given to several crabs, even
though their bloom season is over before a high percentage of other
apples has started. I've seen the description coupled with "self
pollenizer" occasionally, but only occasionally. If the tree has a
huge number of blossoms is that a good thing because it is a powerful
bee attractant or a bad thing because it may out-compete other trees
with fewer blossoms?

John Henderson
Sage Hen Farm
Lodi, NY