[NAFEX] Winterkill in Black Raspberries???

Michael Dossett phainopepla at yahoo.com
Wed May 27 10:56:25 EDT 2009

Jim,

There definitely seems to be a correlation with variety and severity of this problem.  For example, in some trials, Allen seems to last a year or so longer without its floricanes completely dying over the winter, however its fruit size drops way off before hand, which makes it just as uneconomical.  This has been a steady problem here in the PNW.  50 years ago the average life of a black raspberry planting was 7-8 years.  It is now half that or less, and it used to be much more than that.  From our research on genetic markers in the named varieties as compared to the wild plants we've collected and that have been sent to us, it appears that all the named varieties are VERY closely related to each other, so its no surprise that they should all suffer from more or less the same problems.

Much like red raspberry, there is no reason why a healthy black raspberry planting can't live for decades, the problem is keeping them healthy.

For what its worth, the only planting I've seen of Pequot here in Oregon does not look very good.  It's on a site with moderate verticillium pressure and the plants have declined very fast, in fact I think the only live floricanes I saw on it was the first spring after the plants were established.

Michael

Michael Dossett
Corvallis, Oregon
www.Mdossettphoto.com