[NAFEX] Reliant peach

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Mon May 25 10:26:18 EDT 2009

Prof. Elwyn Meader, the breeder of Reliance peach, once told me he had
seen  trees labeled Reliance that weren't true to name.  They might
have been seedlings, but whatever the source he was reasonably sure
there was more than one Reliance loose in the trade.  This was in 1989,
so the error may have compounded by now.  That might be part of the
reason for the disappointing results some growers have had with it.
-Lon Rombough
short, low resolution clip here:
"Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003.
A video about The Grape Grower :
On May 25, 2009, at 6:17 AM, William C. Garthright wrote:

> It seems a lot of you northern growers put your faith in the Reliant
> peach. ... I don't think this peach gives enough of an advantage to be
> worth its wide distribution.

My notes indicate that I planted a "Reliance," but I imagine that's the
same peach, isn't it? Maybe I just wrote the name down wrong. At any
rate, I was overjoyed with it last year, when I got my first peaches.
(And it's a mass of peaches again this year.) So I thought it was pretty
funny when people here reported that it was not a particularly good
peach.

Heh, heh. Let's face it, this was the first peach I'd EVER eaten that
didn't come from the grocery store,... and I grew it myself! So I was
probably easy to please. :-)

But in my VERY limited experience, this tree has produced much more
heavily than the others I've got (Intrepid, Redhaven, and Hardired Giant
Nectarine), the peaches have been bigger, and I thought they were at
least as good as the others (in fact, I liked them best). I couldn't be
happier with it.

Again, I'm a complete newbie at this, and I'm not going to pretend I
know anything. For me, though, the Reliance peach seems to be working
out great.

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
I think on-stage nudity is disgusting, shameful and damaging to all
things American. But if I were 22 with a great body, it would be

sites.
permission!

No exceptions.
used to change other email options):