[NAFEX] Apricot Breeder Crafts a Sweeter, Earlier Fruit (Capital Press, Salem, Ore.)

Spidra Webster spidra at speakeasy.net
Fri May 22 13:02:49 EDT 2009

Thanks for forwarding that. They mention 'Apache' was bred by the
same fella. I just tasted my first 'Apache' last week and it tasted
like every other unripe grocery store apricot. I was distinctly
unimpressed.

Apricot is one of my top 5 favorite fruits but it seems that how I
like my apricots is out of step with the majority. I'm not into
sickly sweetness. I prize the tart mixed with sweet. The special
tangy flavor that apricots have (concentrated most in the skin) is
what I love. It's been many years since I've had a fruit that really
lives up to what I know an apricot can taste like. There was an
apricot growing on an easement in my old neighborhood that epitomized
that. Years later I thought I'd try to get scionwood but a family
that had moved in next door to the easement trespassed onto SoCal
Edison property and cut it down. What a horrible tree murder that was!

I like the aprium and the Royal apricot in my yard but we don't get
the hot weather here that would help them develop peak flavor.

Does anyone have suggestions of varieties that are simply sweet but
have that really great tart/sweet combo I'm after?

On May 22, 2009, at 9:44 AM, Brungardt, Sam wrote:

> http://www.capitalpress.info/main.asp?
> SectionID=67&SubSectionID=616&ArticleID=51412&TM=45869.7

Megan Lynch

Berkeley, CA

CRFG, NAFEX: I'm in USDA Zone 9b

Garden with me on Folia: http://myfolia.com/gardener/spidra/invite